|Maha Bandoola Park received blue plaque commemoration|
Yangon Heritage Trust installed a commemorative blue plaque at the Maha Bandoola Park a historic public recreation area between the Maha Bandoola road and Merchant road in Kyauktada township.
The park which is adjacent to the famous Sule Pagoda and opposite of the Yangon City hall has always been a venue for cultural performances and public gathering and is also associated with political movement since the colonial times.
The site was left vacant and known as the Tank Square when the British planned the city in 1852. In 1867-68, the swampy square was levelled and laid out as a public recreation ground. It was named Fytche Square after the Chief Commissioner of the British Crown Colony of Burma at the time. The park was redesigned in 2012 and Yangon City Development Committee.
This is the tenth Blue Plaques that the Trust has unveiled in the city following nine other historic buildings and sites of Yangon.
The commemorative Blue Plaque is a part of Yangon Heritage Trust’s efforts to highlight historical buildings and renowned residents who contributed to the narrative of the city. Yangon Heritage Trust believes that the introduction of commemorative Blue Plaques will make Yangon’s history accessible to people of all age and backgrounds.